Wednesday, September 06, 2006

One Month Old

Elisabeth is officially one month old today. We took her for her doctor's appointment, and just as I'd thought, she'd gained another pound. She is now 10 pounds 9 ounces and 23 inches long.

I've just finished reading the blogs of the Harnetts and Thoutenhoofds, both of whom had babies the same time we had Tink. I'm having such a hard time right now, especially with nights. She won't sleep during the day for longer than 15 or 20 minutes unless I'm either sleeping with her, or holding her. No matter how deep a sleep I let her get into, she always wakes up immediately. In the evening, there' one period where she fights sleep so hard, but when she finally does crash, I can usually get an hour, maybe two of her in the bassinet. Every subsequent sleep after that has to be either on me, or with me in the bed.

I'm so tired, I just can't fight her any more. Letting her cry it out just results in a very angry baby, and I don't feel like she's ready to cry for two hours so that she learns to sleep on her own yet. Then I read other people's blogs and their babies sleep and eat and go camping and out for walks (their moms actually get to leave the house!) and I feel like, what am I doing wrong?

Well, at least I can grow 'em good, even if the process is extremely frustrating. Thank God they eventually get to be like Davey. Though, once again I find myself torn between trying to cherish every moment with my baby and desperately wishing it was month six or seven when they finally start to be babies and not little screaming, uncomprehendable beings.

2 comments:

Alvin & Denise Engler said...

hang in there! cherith was a horrid sleeper (up every 20-30 minutes as well), and now she sleeps 12 hours straight in her crib, alone. wow. it was a long struggle to get there, and i slept with her most nights. now and then i miss those days, so as hard as it is in the moment, enjoy, enjoy. it helped me to try not to think about what i'd rather be doing (sleeping), and try to focus on that my little baby girl was looking to me for help and comfort. what a privelege -- as the years continue to go by, they depend on us less and less. i also tried to treat every sleepless night as if it were my last -- helps change perspective too.
for not getting any sleep, you and your family sure look well.
i really think it's not a matter of doing anything "wrong". i think some babies just need extra attention -- perhaps a developmental need. maybe your elisabeth will be a genius like my cherith, and they can take over the world together. :)
-de

ramblin'andie said...

Thanks Denise. Somehow it feels easier to cherish my all nighters with Davey than those with Tink - maybe because he can communicate his appreciation of having me here. But you're so right, one day I'll long for these days...but oh man do I love my sleep!! I'm glad I'm not the only mom out here in blogworld who doesn't have perfect sleepers and I will hold out for 12 hour nights and world domination :)