Sunday, February 10, 2019

Jade's Grand Day Out


Jade and I have been talking about going to the Canyon Lights since November. The fates conspired against us, and our first opportunity to go was the second to last day of the lights!!

I was hella worried about parking, so we left early. So early that the park wasn't actually open when we got to North Vancouver. So we kept going and wound up at Whytecliff Park.


We were not expecting how incredibly cold it was!!

However, if you've ever been there, you know that you spend a lot of time running up and down stairs and cliffs and you warm up pretty quick!

 Looking over at Bowen Island.



One day, I'm going to sit here all day and read and enjoy the sunshine. Probably not a day in January though.

 All three kids spent a lot of time taking pictures.









 Then the kids found sea glass and I lost them for a long time while they picked up all they could find. I don't think we actually brought any home though!




We headed to Capilano Suspension Bridge. They've done a lot of improvements since we started going.


As always, we posed for our traditional picture with the mountie.




 And then, also in keeping with tradition, we did the cliff walk. Jade's least favourite part.



She's such a trooper. Not her favourite, but she doesn't balk at all.


 In fact, you'd hardly know she was scared.

 Right?









 There are a few spots where you can step out - and the floor is suddenly glass. Jade won't do it. Though I always walk where the metal reinforcement is. I'm not stupid.


 Here i walked on the very edge. Jade wouldn't come out at all. Can't blame her...



Once you finish this section, your legs are jelly and your lungs are on fire. That's why it's handy to have a camera so you can stop "to take pictures". Lots of pictures.









 I know I took way too many pictures. But seeing all the cousins having fun together is my favorite. I hope they remember times like this always.







The new restaurant is real pretty. Way outta my price range, but we all know I bring a backpack full of snacks with me anyway. I'm cheap (frugal?) like that.

 Across the bridge (those pictures are on my phone and will get added later), there were also lots of new structures. SO pretty. This snack shelter is a huge improvement over the plastic tent they used to have.



 And they were just building this last time I was here.










I want a little bridge like this in my backyard.















 It was sometime around here the kids started dancing...

 We paused here to hangout.







 And then the dancing continued.




 And went on.







 Then they paused to pull up some tunes on Jade's Apple watch.












David channelled his Fred Astaire.






















 They had three or so of these light installations where you had to do something to get the lights to shine. That was fun.









There was a little Queen going on here stomp stomp clap.





 People apparently throw money over the edge here. Seems like that's dangerous for wild life. On the other hand, it seems to stay for a while. I tried to get the kids to climb over and collect enough for dinner.



















Then it was finally time for the tree tops part - my favourite.



The light was just about perfect for the canyon lights to show. But the crowds were starting to show up. Always a bit disappointing.


There's always a couple of groups that don't care about the people behind them who want to do a photo shoot. And block the bridges for everyone else. Not just for a couple of minutes either.





 We tried to hijack their pictures, but they kept moving away from us!










































0 comments: