Thursday, August 01, 2019

A Rossi Reunion

For years my brother has been telling me that I need to come to Manning Park for the Annual Rossi camping trip. Of course, being an introvert and not related, I've always been jealous of their holiday, but not even thought of going along.

Then in 2019, Dave and Alexis asked if we would go so that Alexis could go. She wouldn't have been able to manage 3 kids without a little help.

So, completely out of character with everything in my personality, I said yes.


We piled into the van and headed for Hope, where the Rossis always stop for lunch.



 After a quick picnic, and some playtime, we continued on our way. When we arrived in Manning Park, the cleaning crew hadn't quite finished cleaning the cabin. So we all congregated there waiting to be allowed to go inside. Once the doors are open, everyone finds a space that will work for their group.

The cabin is three floors, with rooms of varying sizes and configurations. There are dorm style washrooms on each floor. We ended up with a bunk bed and a single bed, so David and Liz shared the bunk bed and Ada slept on our floor. Ruben and Solomon were in the room just down from us and Alexis slept with her parents and brother's family downstairs.

Each day was a mix of playing at the cabin and venturing to Lightning Lake or for a walk. We really enjoyed the family time and the way everything runs like a well oiled machine. Dinner production for 50+ people was AMAZING.







I love Manning Park and Lightning Lake. When you first pull in, the lake immediately in front of the parking area is really shallow. You can paddle for ages and it never really gets deeper than knee depth.




Here's our cabin. It's basically a hotel ha ha! There's a huge common room/kitchen/dining area on the main floor and lots of spaces for hanging out, outside.


We were a little overwhelmed by all the people so we ate dinner outside on those picnic tables every day. Without fail we were joined by others who were looking for a little quiet too. Usually the older generation which was great. So many stories. And they were so welcoming to us.


Me and the kids went looking for bears.




But all we found was a playground.
















Public service announcement. These were the most uncomfortable beds I've ever slept on in my life. ALL the springs stuck out on my mattress. Next time I would bring a foamie or inflatable mattress.







This was our room.


 Down the hallway you can see the bathroom. It was a little weird using the same bathroom as all these strangers AND all these men. But you get used to it pretty quick. And honestly, I managed to mostly be in there when there was no one else in there.

I think a lot of people shower down at the pool!



Another day at the lake.



So many precious memories with the cousins.




 And I can't believe this. But I don't have any pictures of  Liz paddle boarding. But here's some pics in the canoe.



On the last night, Alexis' brother, dad and uncle all went up to the viewpoint above Manning Park to watch the stars. I was too scared to do the road - I have bad memories of that! But the kids loved it and can't wait to go up there again.

All too soon it was time to leave. We piled into the van and headed for Highway 7.


Where we stopped for lunch at Kilby Farm.











































What an amazing trip. I hope we have the opportunity to do this again one day.

0 comments: