Thursday, February 02, 2006

Lately I have names on the brain. I suppose most people in our situation might get a bit obsessed over the subject. The thing that's proving difficult is finding names we both like that have meanings we both like. For instance, one of my favorite names (and incidently, my great grandmother's name) is Magdalena. But, because of somewhat negative connotations in religious circles (completely unwarranted in my opinion) Andrew doesn't like that name.

Two more of my favorite names are Jacob and Moira. But Jacob means "heel holder" or "supplanter" and Moira means "bitter". Since I believe strongly in the power of words, I don't exactly want to bless our children with those name meanings.

Some of my favorite names? Isaac, which means "laughing one'. Davey is our "Courageous Strong Man".

On a somewhat unrelated note, a funny anecdote about Davey: lately it's been getting harder to get my hugs and kisses out of the boy. So, being the manipulative mother that I am, I will fake cry. In the past he would immediately fling his arms around my neck and give me long sweet hugs. Yesterday I tried my crying tactic on him. Instead of getting my desired response the cheeky little monkey stuck both of his lips out, kind of like a duck's bill; scrunched up his eyes and nose and proceeded to make the most hilarious fake crying noises.

Hmmmn. The kid is catching on fast. drat.

2 comments:

Christine Lindsay said...

It'll come and go -- his affection that is. He'll always love you but depending on his age, he may not show it. But don't worry, boys always love their mom. :)

derek salmon said...

regarding names, i think you should be able to make up a meaning if you want to. "diedre" means melancholy, not a great meaning to give a child, but for us, it is a rockclimb in squamish, a beautiful 7 pitched climb. so her name is a rockclimb or the beauty of it (and God's holy number, a symbol of perfection: 7).

of course, before we settled on it, melancholy was a huge factor in it not being settled on! and the pronounciation : "dee-Ay-dra" since people suggested we write it phonetically instead and there are so many different spellings and pronounciations for diedre in its traditional sense.