Sunday, September 14, 2008

An Afternoon Stroll at Minter Gardens

Today Davey kept insisting that we had to go to Minter Gardens. At first I thought he wanted to go to the garden store; we'd been there a few times in the spring for coffee/ice cream and a look through the gift stores. But no, he insisted he wanted to go to the place with the 'flowers and the side walks'. So we went to the gardens.

They already had some fall scenes set up with pumpkins and leaves. Davey posed for me:

We had sandwiches in the cafe. While we waited for them, I showed Andrew some techniques I've been learning from ANTM. Find the light...
Very good Andrew. Well done!

The flowers there were lovely today. I think these are some type of hydrangea, but I've never seen them before.

Davey took charge of the map right away and planned out the route we would take around the gardens.


This is one of my favorite places - the little chalet at the top of the hill.

Davey stopped at the peacock to check that he was following the correct route.

In the rose garden. I really like the orangey roses.



And the clematis. I really, really want clematis somewhere at our new house!










We love the new kids' section at Minter Gardens. We always have to stop and play there for a while. If it only had a gate across the entrance I could sit there with a book and be quite content while the kids play.




Looking for loonies in the pond.

While Davey chilled in the stroller!


Okay, so there's this local photo contest I'm thinking of entering. Here's my first picture...


Or, this one. (the category I'm most interested in is close ups, and it's gardening photos).



Then I'm having a hard time choosing between this one,

...and this one.
Opinions?

I know I probably don't stand a chance. Every time I go to Minter Gardens there's Bazillions of old dudes there with their fancy cameras and tripods and equipment. And tons of photography classes seem to take place there. But I got a couple good pictures today so I thought I'd give it a shot. Maybe no one will enter since the prize is only $100 and a calendar?! I can hope!!

PS if you want to enter, you just need some gardening shots (Jane!) and head over to here. The deadline is tomorrow!!









When we got home I planted some fall flowers with plants I'd bought at Little Mountain Nursery earlier in the day. Davey and our neighbor Dryden kept shooting me with their water guns. So I chased Davey with my dirty hands.

Guess who had to have a bath tonight!! muah hah hah hah hah










0 comments: