Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Chip Off the Old Bloke

One sign that Davey is growing up is how willing he is to help around the house these days. Today I had him and Elisabeth make cookies. Davey was very exuberant and wanted to narrate the entire process.

"And when we put the cookies in the oven, they'll grow and grow and grow!" he explained to Elisabeth.

I switched the oven light to on so they could watch.

"I think I'll make some soup for dinner," I said.

"I want to make soup too!" Davey said. The kids have helped make dinner before, but nothing like soup. Still, I'm gearing up to start a regular routine of chores with the kids, so I thought I'd encourage doing things he actually wanted to help with!

Later, when Andrew got home, Davey asked if he could bring Daddy one of the cookies we'd baked so he could try it. I guess Andrew told him that we were good cooks because Davey came downstairs and said, "We're chefs mummy. We're good chefs and we cook good."

Just now, Andrew had to go back upstairs - David was having trouble falling asleep. When he got upstairs they were chatting about random things like bikes. Out of the blue Davey asked, "Daddy, do you like beans?"

"Yes. I like baked beans and green beans and human beans..."

David laughed, "Do you like spaghetti and fruit snacks?"

"I don't think I've ever had spaghetti and fruit snacks. Have you ever had spaghetti and fruit snacks?"

"When I grow up I'm going to be a chef. And I'm going to make spaghetti and fruit snacks, and beans and bananas, and chef burgers, and chef pancakes..."

Sounds delicious Chef Davey. And anytime you want to get some practice in, go ahead and take over the cooking duties here. I don't mind, I'm sure.

0 comments: