Thursday, February 19, 2009

This morning, in between registering David for Kindergarten and meeting his preschool class at Price Smart for a field trip, we stopped at Starbucks for a drink. We had our drinks in and Elisabeth was admiring all the espresso makers and assorted gear they sell. That's when I started thinking about the machine my friend Lee bought me for my birthday ten years ago this March.

It was rather an extravagant gift, so I insisted Lee keep it at his house (that was Lee all over though. His grandparents gave him $10,000 one year and he spent ALL of it buying his friends amazing Christmas presents.) I'm not sure what happened to the machine.

But I was thinking how much I loved playing with my very own espresso maker and what fun that would be again. Which is why this would make the perfect birthday gift for me this year:


Anyway, back to our day. Elisabeth is still miserable. As in, 80 % of the time that she's awake, she's grizzling, if not full on crying. Her eyes and face are swollen and I'm not sure if it's from all the crying or her cold. She's been on antibiotics for almost a full week now, so this is a bit troubling to me. I hope it's just because Andrew's been out of town all week and I've had to work two days so she's just out of sorts. She really, really does not like me working. Even when she's healthy it usually takes a day or two for her to stop being clingy and whiney after I've worked.

I knew that I had to be at David's school this morning to register for Kindergarten. But since his field trip was to a grocery store I was really undecided if we should go to that or not. I brought the stroller and talked to her before hand about how she had to ride in it and be good. She did pretty well for the first 10 minutes.

There was another younger sibling there, even younger than Elisabeth (probably 20 months old or thereabouts) who kept running away and distracting his mom. So I offered her the stroller if he would stay in it and I would carry Elisabeth since that was what she wanted anyway. And he did really well in the stroller for a good 1/2 hour. But when I noticed he was starting to get restless I offered to take it back again.

The first thing that silly sausage did was run right into the freezer (the big storage one like they keep milk/eggs in at Costco) and wrap his entire mouth around a metal shelf. I couldn't even go look. Some of the moms herded all the kids out of the freezer and around a corner so they wouldn't see anything while the lady from the store ran for warm water and the rest of the moms all breathed on the poor baby to try and loosen his mouth. The warm water did the trick, and thank God the little boy's mouth wasn't hurt. But his poor mother was crying and I was almost crying. Luckily the kids didn't really seem to know what was going on! I don't know if I'll go on that field trip again!

Anyway, now it's over and Elisabeth has had a nap. The kids have both eaten lunch and are happily colouring at their craft table in front of Flushed Away. I'm trying to decide whether to disturb them to run my errands or just let them be. So thankful Andrew will be back by tomorrow evening!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Picture me staring at my monitor with my mouth hanging open as I read that story. Awfulness! Awfulness!

Uh, I bet that kid won't be doing that again.
September

derek salmon said...

i like the espresso maker. very fun.