Saturday, April 24, 2010

Our yard backs on to a park/playground which we haven't been visiting much. When we lived in my mum's suite we installed a bike lock to stop people using her yard as a short cut to the park (they kept leaving the gate open which was dangerous considering we had a two year old running around - not to mention it was dangerous to have strangers in our backyard!) Well the key for the lock got lost so instead of walking the long way to the park behind us, we would walk up the hill to the other playground or over to David's school.

Last weekend, Andrew cut the lock off (we still need to get a new one since the kids now can let themselves out of the yard and make off for the park!) and we've been visiting the park a lot more frequently. The funny thing is, now that we can head through there, we've been walking home the very long way almost every day. I haven't really enjoyed walking in our immediate neighborhood because there are no sidewalks anywhere and the road our cul de sac is off is a short cut road from Langley to Surrey. Turns out though that if you just cross over and walk north, it's all beautiful subdivisions WITH SIDEWALKS! We walk there now!

Anyway, back to the playground. Elisabeth LOVES the swings!



Right across the road from our park are some really beautiful yards. Two of them seem to have landscapers that come quite frequently. Curiousity overcame me last week and I had to go look closer. This is what I can see from the park:

I LOVE what these people have done with their hill. We have a very hilly back yard and I would love to have something like this somewhere.

And of course, I couldn't resist taking some pictures of the blossoms everywhere.

I've decided I MUST have a lilac tree in my backyard. I think I'm going to plant it near the property line and beside the playhouse.



We wandered up towards the forest at the end of our road and both of my children decided they needed to use the 'facilities'. Being the big tree. I don't know what the fascination is with peeing outside. But, afterwards I insisted on taking their pictures so we could pretend that's what we'd been doing there the whole time.

There's a lane at the edge of the forest with a culvert that empties onto the side of the road then runs along to a stream. The kids thought that was the coolest thing ever ("I wish OUR road had water running along it!") and ask to go back every day!



Then we walked home on our sidewalkless street. There sure were some pretty blossoms though. I love the rich reds and pinks so much more than the light pinks and whites. Wish I knew which trees were what, I'd fill my backyard!




David insisted he was too hot (it wasn't that warm!) so this is how he walked home!

1 comments:

kelly ens said...

lilacs are my FAVORITE. i agree...you MUST have one :) they don't last long when they bloom, but they are divine!