Monday, August 13, 2007

While we wait for Grandma

Today the kids and I drove Andrew to work. My dad has gone to visit his family in Switzerland and kindly agreed to let us use his truck while he's away - that's why I'm in Langley (well, that and to see Grandma!)

Davey was so excited and as soon as he started recognizing where we were headed he changed from singing, "We're going to visit Grandma" to "We're going to MY house!" I guess he misses this place.

We still haven't received the package from our Internet provider which will allow us to connect to the Internet from our new place. I'm really hoping it arrives today or tomorrow! In the meantime, though I can't post pictures, I can update you all on what we've been up to.

So let's see...We arrived home from Whistler to a flurry of last minute packing/cleaning/moving details. The townhouse is painted two shades of green throughout and we really thought we would have to repaint most of the house in order for our furniture to work, but most of the house is in a very pale graygreen so it actually looks really good with our things. Of course it helps that our living room is empty other than some plants, so of course it looks great!

On moving day I took the kids out for a few hours while the movers got most of our stuff on to the truck, then I ran home to start on the cleaning while they finished up. All of a sudden the guys were saying they were starting to head to Chilliwack. So we had rushed off after them, intending to finish packing up the last few things and clean the next day. Little did we know that we'd barely left the driveway before my brother was downstairs with a vacuum cleaner, carpet shampooer and boxes of stuff...I guess he was excited to move!!

Elisabeth's first birthday was on the 6th, so on Friday the 3rdish we headed to Dinotown to celebrate. Like all good Chilliwackians, I worked there for a summer. It was funny to see they were still doing the same stage show they had when I was there...thirteen or so years ago. Davey hasn't stopped talking about Dinotown since and everyday he asks, "are we going to Dinotown today?" Both kids are free this year, so we'll have to go at least once more.



On Elisabeth's birthday Andrew left bright and early (530 am!) to jaunt down to Texas, stranding me and the kids in Chilliwack with no car, no internet and no cable. oh...and no friends since we don't know anyone there yet. It worked out well though. I managed to unpack most of the house, paint our ensuite and go on LOTS of walks!



Though she's been walking as many as six steps for ages, Tink didn't seem to clue in to walking as a mode of getting around until this past Friday. We were outside playing in the yard and she just suddenly took eight steps. Then a few minutes later she took eight again. Then she walked across our whole backyard. Since then she has barely stopped walking. This morning at grandma's she can hardly stop walking to play she's so excited to be exploring a new place from this new elevated and mobile position!!



We also realized that though she says quite a number of words, including 'thank you' and 'giraffe' (which she can also identify!!) she doesn't ever say "no". How nice is that?! Maybe it's because she's such a sweet, obedient girl that if she's ever into something she shouldn't be we just say, "Tinky" in a stern voice and she smiles and does something else!



Davey loves his new house, but misses Jade terribly. For that reason I've finally decided that he'll just have to stay in preschool here in Langley. We can car pool in with Andrew the two days a week and it'll be a good excuse to visit my mum.



Speaking of, I think I hear her, so I'd better end this post. Hopefully there will be Internet to post pictures soon!!

0 comments: