Monday, November 12, 2007

On Saturday we packed up our car to head to Whistler. First stop: fuel! Davey wanted to help daddy. Here they are cleaning my windshield for me.

After about 90 minutes of driving, we stopped to stretch our legs in Horseshoe Bay. I remembered that they have a park right by the water, so we thought it would be a good place for the kids to get out and play.


I've never used a tripod OR a self timer before. I'm so enamored! We got some pretty good family shots especially considering this was our first time trying.

This was also the first time during the trip where I realised that things weren't going to go according to my meticulous planning. We decided to grab lunch at the Trolls in Horseshoe Bay. Never again! We'd been seated for about ten minutes when another couple was seated behind us. At this point the kids were still playing happily and the restaurant was busy. But when about five minutes passed and a waitress came and took the other couple's order, and we still hadn't even had a drink order taken I started trying to catch someone's eye. Long story short, the people behind us had eaten, paid, and were halfway down the road (I know because I was outside with a hysterical one year old) before we even got our food. No apology. Elisabeth's food was rock hard. Davey's food, though ordered from the kid's menu was totally inappropriate for a kid, and Andrew's fries were raw. Almost two hours later, we finally got back on the road.

When we got to Whistler, we were too early to check in. So we went for a nice walk. The weather was freezing, but gorgeous.



We stayed in the same hotel as this summer during Staff Conference. From the description online I was sure we were getting the same room. Nope. Second indication I was going to have to let go of my expectations and just go with the flow on this trip.

Instead of two rooms and a full kitchen, we had one big room, a microwave and a tiny sink. After hyperventilating for a few seconds I decided I'd just have to be creative. Elisabeth's playpen went behind the couch. Davey's by the "kitchen". I'd have to be creative about cooking. And except for the fact that both kids had trouble sleeping (we had planned to put Tink down in the bedroom while we let Davey stay up in the other room. Instead we all had to go to sleep at once. Which, when you first think about it, going to bed at 730 sounds awful. But what bliss! If you don't count the waking up every time anyone made a sound to make sure it wasn't one kid waking everyone else up...and sleeping lightly because you're worrying (yes, I'm a control freak!) we got TWO nights of 11 hours of sleep. WOW! I haven't had that much sleep in years!!


Yesterday dawned dull and dreary. Our plan was to ride the gondolas to Whistler Summit and seek out some snow. Only for some reason I had a niggling feeling that maybe the gondolas weren't running after all...A few phone calls and we found out that feeling was right. *sigh*. That was the main reason we came here...to find some snow!

Instead we drove out to Lost Lake and ran around a bit.
It was really, really cold. Can you tell?


Cold, but incredibly beautiful.
So after playing with the tripod again, we went back to the village and checked out the toy store. BIG hit. Especially the Thomas Train set.


After lunch, Davey and Daddy went for a walk. Tink had a nap, and I read. Then went out for another walk around the village.

Tink loved being able to run around. It was nice to be able to let her run without worrying about vehicles.


Christmas lights: Davey loved 'em.


Back in our room again.



This morning we woke up to SNOW! YAY!!! God decided to redeem the trip for me (as if we didn't have fun without snow!) and made it snow on our last day. Though we did our best to hurry and check out, it was raining by the time we got outside.

So we drove up he mountain and found some snow.







You know, snow is overrated. It's really cold. I mean REALLY cold. And wet. And cold. But oh so pretty for pictures. So we took a few. Threw some snow at each other. And ran back to the nice, warm car and cranked the heat!!

On the way home we stopped in West Vancouver. Have you ever been to the village at Park Royal? Such a pretty place. We had some gelato at Lugano and wandered through the shops. Then back home.

And despite the fact that things didn't turn out the way I planned, this was an awesome trip. I might even go so far to say, it turned out better!

0 comments: