Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Brave Girl

I was at work today, minding my own business when Kathi sent me a message, "Tink wants her ears pierced."

This is something Kat and I have talked about actually. I'm a big chicken/softie when it comes to hurting my children. Kat and Cody managed to get their girls' ears pierced and keep teasing me about taking Tinker to get hers done. Secretly I kept hoping that they would cause then I wouldn't ever have to go with her. So when I got that message today, I immediately responded, "Great! Have fun!"

Well, after a bit of conversation back and forth, Kat picked me up from work and we headed to the mall. Both my kids are magpies like me, so when we strolled into a glittery store (I think it was Icing) they were super excited. "Oh just wait," I thought to myself!!

We got the forms filled out and then it was time to explain procedure to mamma. Not much different from a needle. Sit on the stool with your baby on your lap. One arm pins her arms down, the other holds her face still so that she doesn't move and get a piercing where you didn't want one!! No big deal.

Next, the ladies drew dots on Tink to show her that they weren't going to do anything nasty to her. As one lady got the 'guns' ready, the other drew a dot on Tink's hand. "Ohhhh" says Tink. Then we showed her what it looked like in the mirror. "Great," She said (with her eyes) "can I get back down to play with the nail polish?"

Her first clue there was something up was when I suddenly pinned her arms and grabbed her face with my hand while both ladies crowded round us. But she was so brave. She barely struggled despite my iron grip and cried only a little when the guns pierced her ears. They offered her the jar of lollipops and she grabbed two, still sobbing. Then they wanted to clean her ears up. "All better, all better," she sobbed turning her head away. But as soon as I stood up and she realised we weren't going to torture her anymore, she stopped crying. By the time I'd paid for the piercing (and her and David's nail polishes) she had polished off one lollipop and was blowing kisses to the nice ladies.

And as we walked through the mall I said to her, "Tinky got earrings?" and she replied, "yah, they're pretty nice". Yes they are baby, yes they are.

0 comments: