Wednesday, August 11, 2010

How to make the most of your day, or Chilliwack Day Trip Part Two

I forgot to mention in my previous post how hot it was in Chilliwack. It was a scorcher. And standing with your toes in the water isn't really all that cooling. So we decided we needed slurpies or ice cream or something before we could go home. And also we'd brought all our buckets with us so we didn't want to go home without blackberries. But it was too hot to pick berries just yet. So we drove up Mount Thom and went for a walk.

And in the ravine we found what looked like someone's gardening stash. There was a roller thing for making the earth flat, a lot of compost and flower containers and this mother lode of bulbs! Oh how I wanted to steal them. Don't worry, I didn't succumb to the temptation!

And then we had a vote. I wanted a Green Tea Lemonade from Starbucks. David wanted a slurpee. But Andrew and Elisabeth wanted Island Farms ice cream so they won the vote. And it wasn't all that bad after all!


Model pose. I think it's time to retire this very short skirt now too...


And then, because we have season's passes and it was still too hot to pick blackberries, we decided to go to Minter Gardens.




It was lovely, as always. Unfortunately, it was also where my camera decided to start being WEIRD. About 40% of the time it's fine. The rest of the time the pictures are way too dark. AND the LCD screen (on which I view my pictures) will be black. Or almost black. I've tried everything I can think of, but it must be a combo of the screen dying and the light readers starting to fail? I'm not sure. Anyway, I got a few more good pictures...






And then we left Minter Gardens. We ate some dinner and by this time it had cooled off enough that we thought we'd head back to the river...though we stopped on the way to grab some blueberries and peppers from road side stands. I LOVE summer!

We parked at the end of Peach Road and holey macaroni! The mosquitos were out in full force! So we power picked...

(David is amazing! Right in the middle of the bushes and picking like a trooper!)

And we quickly filled a few buckets. Then, it was dark so we decided we may as well go home.

0 comments: