Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Tooth Troubles

My kids hae grown up hearing me talk about surgery I had back when I was about 13 or 14. I had a tooth growing in the roof of my mouth, and it needed to be exposed. I had the surgery done in my dentist's office and I was awake for it. First the freezing made me go temporarily blind, then I got to watch the blood spatter all over my glasses and face. And ever since, I've had jaw trouble. I love to tell the story, and I love to over dramatize it.

Then my kids went to the orthodontist and we found out David had not one, but TWO teeth doing the same thing and he would need the same surgery. OY. We decided to ask for an oral surgeon and for the surgery to take place with him unconscious. David asked not to know when it was happening. Sooooo it happened this Monday morning.

I woke him up and got him dressed and tried about five times to tell him, but was so scare for how he'd react. When I finally said, "today's the day!" he just calmly replied, "I thought so."

 By the time we got to the hospital, you could tell he was a little worried, but he was so brave. I got to stay with him until he was out. Then we waited for 90 LONG minutes while they operated. When David was wheeled down the hallway afterwards, he had one hand holding a popsicle and thumbs up with the other. Sitting up and looking like a celebrity except for the ice pack wrapped around his face.



 Here he is recouping in his hospital room.

 After another half hour he was allowed to walk around and get half dressed. I should add that David was relieved and Elisabeth was bitterly disappointed that he was not high at all after his surgery!


And then we were released! David can't eat very well, but he's recovering very well otherwise. So glad we have this behind us.




0 comments: