Monday, October 05, 2009

While the cat's away...

This past weekend I hopped on a plane and visited an old friend. While I was away, Andy and the kids took care of the homestead. Which apparently involved a lot of playing Star Wars Lego for the GameCube, and a few deep talks.

First, the gaming. Andrew's tried a few times to teach the kids to play, but David gets a little...over excited shall we say, and easily frustrated. This time went better. Both kids loved the game and by Saturday were strategizing about where to go and what they were going to do. One of their favorite things to do was fall of a cliff (apparently they don't realise yet that killing your player is not one of the objects of the game!) so they could hear the funny noises their characters made as they fell. Which also resulted in Chewbaca crying (or making his noises). To which David would say, "Oh Chewie, do you have to go to the bathroom?"

***********

Another conversation, between David (d) and Daddy (A):
d: When I grow up, I'm going to walk around the world and find a wife. And then I'll own this house...but...where are you going to go?

A: Are you going to kick me out?

d: No, you’ll have to live somewhere else, but I won’t kick you out. Then you’ll be a grandpa.

A: I’ll only be a grandpa if you have kids. If you just have a wife, I won’t be a grandpa.

d: How will I find a wife? How will I know how to find a wife?

A: You’ll know better when you’re older. But you’ll have to find someone you like and who likes you back and then you’ll have to ask her if she would like to marry you. If she says yes, then you can get married, but if she says no, then you’ll have to keep looking.


And apparently that answer resulted in some deep thinking, so we'll see where that one goes.

0 comments: