Monday, May 31, 2010

Chatterbox

This morning, after we dropped David off at school and read with the kindergartners, Elisabeth and I headed to South Surrey to do some birthday present shopping. Have you ever been trapped in a car with a preschooler? No? Well, let me tell you, you're in for some kind of conversation.

With both of my kids, it's almost non-stop chatter and the topics hop faster than I can keep up with them. But I'll try and regurgitate some of Elisabeth's here now:

Me: Ellie, last night I applied for a job at Starbucks. Do you know what that means?
E: No, mama, what does that mean?
Me: That when you come into Starbucks, mama could be working there. I could be the lady that makes your hot chocolate.
E: Oh. I have an idea mama. You can do the dish washing.
Me: ?!

**************************************

Me: So I tried to call Daddy and tell him that we were going to get coffee. I thought he might like to come with us. But he's in a meeting this morning.
E: oh. But mama, what if there's a girl in the meeting? What if he decides to marry the girl?
Me: ?!
E: But don't worry, mama. We'll try and get rid of her for you.

**************************************

E: Do you know what would happen mama, if a wolf came?
Me: No Ellie, what would happen?
E: He would huff and puff and huff and puff and huff and puff. And then he would die because he wouldn't have any breath left.
Me: (well, at least you're not talking about Daddy's next wife anymore...)

**************************************

E: You know what mama?
Me: No Ellie, what?
E: One day, daddy will walk away from that girl and then you can come back.
Me: You mean the girl in the meeting?
E: Uh hunh. One day, daddy will walk away from her. And we'll keep you safe until then and then you can come back.
Me: Okay. Thank you, Tinky.

**************************************

E: Mama?
Me: Yes, Tinky?
E: I wish we were robots.
Me: ?!

**************************************

E: Mama?
Me: Yes Ellie?
E: My shirts keep disappearing. I have almost no shirts left.
Me: Really? Where are they all going?
E: They're at Uncle Dave's house. He takes them and makes them too big. And then he gives them to grandma to wear.
Me: uhhh
E: Mama?
Me: Yes?
E: Do you like Roast Beef?
Me: Yes, Ellie I suppose I do. Do you like Roast Beef?
E: No, mama, it makes me sad. Cause then the roast beef has to die.
Me: Well, do you like chicken?
E: Yes.
Me: But chickens have to die too.
E: Yes, but chickens are naughty. I don't like chickens.
Me: Hunh.

**************************************

E: Oh mama?
Me: Yes, Ellie?
E: I have an idea! I will do chores at Starbucks too. Mine will be to make the coffee and apple juice.
Me: How come you get to make coffee and apple juice and I have to wash the dishes?
E: Because mama, that's your chores.

**************************************

And a few weeks ago, when we were doing our groceries, Elisabeth looked over to where our favorite coffee shop used to be.

E: Mama?
Me: Yes, Ellie?
E: I think we should kill those builder guys and make the BBQ place our coffee shop again.
Me: Uhm, Ellie?
E: Yes, mama?
Me: Killing those builder guys isn't a very good idea. Maybe we could just go across the road to Starbucks some times?
E: Okay mama. Can I have a hot chocolate?

0 comments: