Sunday, March 25, 2018

Island fun with the Bro!

Sunday was our last day on the island and we had plans to spend the day with Rob's family. We had a little time before we were supposed to meet, so we decided to walk the breakwater really quickly.


 Again, since this is a record of our lives, I'm going to bring up my anxiety. I had a really good stretch before we went away. But I think because of what an emotionally full week we had before we went away and also having so much unknown I really had trouble while we were away. I was anxious the whole weekend except when we walked the breakwater. Sometimes it was manageable and sometimes it was really bad.  But getting a really brisk walk in was good. So note to self, increasing the heart rate is helpful and I need to do more of that.

 Anyway back to the walk. It was gorgeous out. There were a lot of people out walking.


The first time I met Eireen, we went to walk the breakwater. There were no railings back then. I was too scared to actually walk it.


I'm so glad they put railings on!



David and I walked really fast because we wanted to get to the end - I'm not sure I've ever walked all the way to the end.







We finished the breakwater and made our way to Government House where Rob and Eireen and the girls were waiting for us.



 Look at the faces right outside the door.



 Totem pole in front of the house.

 And cute little kids posing for me.




So the house is only open to tours once a month because it's actually in use. The Lieutenant Governor of BC lives here and visiting dignitaries will often stay here (like Prince William and Catharine). But the gardens are open for viewing.


The gardens have different themes so you're constantly moving from one style of garden to another. I liked the alpine rock garden.


 Camille is adorable. It took her till the end of the day to warm up to us, but it was fun watching her with her parents ha ha.




Rob though this looked like something out of Dr. Seuss. Ya. Totally.





 Andrew loves trees.




 This picture makes me wish I'd had my reflector thingie with me to diffuse the light and make sure Rob's face wasn't half in the shadow.









 We liked this tree bit. It looks a bit like the entrance to a cave.

 And there was a dent in the ground with these tres growing out.








This is where the groundskeepers live.




 This totem pole was in Southampton until the late 80s, at which point it started to deteriorate and was sent back to BC for restoration. Unfortunately it was rather well damaged by then and so the decision was made to return it to the ground and send a new totem pole to England.









 We had lunch in Cookstown and then we ventured to Rob's house for tea. Which is when Camille finally decided to warm up to us!



 Miss these little munchkins so much and can't wait to see them again!


0 comments: