Saturday, December 22, 2018

Van Dusen Festival of Lights

Well, this has been an interesting year for me. I have a strong desire to do all the things, but my energy levels are still low. I find that if I get too tired, my anxiety spikes and I get sick. So we're going slow still. David has had a ton of homework and I kind of feel like we all need to just chill for a while. Still, there was one thing I really wanted to do this Christmas season. Van Dusen Festival of Lights.

And yet, I still dithered over whether or not we should go, right up until we were in the car driving there. We both got off work early and headed to Vancouver. Even so, we had to park almost on Granville Street. I was really doubting my judgement. But then we stepped out of the main building into the gardens and the lights were magnificent. They literally stopped me in my tracks, my face lit up and I felt nothing but delight.

This is what you see as you walk out the door:


We followed our traditional route around the gardens. There's so much to look at, you absolutely could do multiple laps.


Isn't it magnificent? We lucked out. The weather reports had been calling for a clear, sunny day on Thursday. I would have bought tickets, but Larry and Ella wanted to come. In the end they didn't come. And we went on Friday instead. Thursday was a brutal windstorm so they saved us from that. And Friday was mostly dry. Kind of perfect.


Elisabeth has the photography bug. She took some amazing pictures, which I'm hoping I'll be able to blog here later.





I really need a new lens. Like an 16-80 or something like that. My wide angle is too wide, my 35 mm just doesn't get close enough either.


Still, I think even with these shots you can tell how spectacular the gardens were. Might be my favourite year yet.



Liz said she missed the snow, but I enjoyed not being frozen.





Andrew and I walk around and dissect the decorations - one day we'd love to recreate them all lol.



Like these for instance. I'd love some of these. Inside or outside.


These are gorgeous in real life. A string of coloured lights in chicken wire. Easy peasy.





Elisabeth loves the macro photography. And playing with lights. She inspired me to try too.



 I think she did it better.





They have a carousel. And riding it is included in your admission price.





 The kids rode while Andrew had a nap under the food tent.











Then we walked through this amazing light tunnel.


I peeked through and got a picture of the umbrellas.















And then we made our way to the waterfront. Several times an hour they do a synchronized light and music show. It's amazing.










0 comments: