Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Picture time



Our realtor is coming tomorrow to take the pictures of our house for MLS, his website and the virtual tour. Since we've moved in, this mantel has proven to be my decorating stumbling block. It's 25% of the reason we bought the house and yet, I have no idea how to style it. This is before. I still had my nativity scene and candles up because I didn't know what else to do.

I rummaged around my house and came up with this which is less colourful.

Anyone have any ideas or advice for me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the similar pictures on the sides of the mantel, I like the mirror. I also like the smaller plant; looks like a bonzai tree or something. What if you put another bonzai tree (or whatever it is) on the other side and then removed everything else so it was totally symmetrical and completely uncluttered?
I read once that the people who are considered the most attractive, especially supermodels, tend to have perfectly symmetrical faces.
So, symmetry must be good.

Also, yes, dark cabinets. Although I also would pressure you to have dark chocolate.
September

Alvin & Denise Engler said...

I liked the nativity set-up with the candles. Because of the stone work and neutral wall color, it seems like it needs a punch of colour. Also, I liked that it *wasn't* symmetrical. Maybe its a personal preference thing, but I have never really liked symmetry in a room...
-de

lunchbucket said...

I don't like symmetry either. The middle picture is too cluttered. Just leave it as neutral as possible.

According to all the decorating shows that I watch at work, you're not supposed to leave pictures of people in your house when you're trying to sell it... I think it has something to do with people being able to see it as their own right away, and not someone els's. You need a clean, de-personalized slate.

I like the trees and plants.