Sunday, August 03, 2008

Trip to Whistler

Andrew's annual Staff Conference happened this past week in Whistler. I came down with a stomach bug on Sunday, and was too sick to travel on Monday. But by Tuesday we made the trek up - just in time to miss the rock slide.

As always, our room was amazing.

You can kind of see that there is light coming above the fireplace, see?

First the kitchen - can you see me waving from the microwave?

This is where all that light above the fireplace was coming from. Nice, hunh? There was one running the whole length of the ceiling above our pillows (in the bedroom). That woke me up every single morning!

Anyhoo, here's Tink. Very excited to be in our room.

Friday morning I was finally starting to feel better. The conference was over. But we walked down to Starbucks and everyone had some coffee. These little birds were very eager to share our goodies.

Hey! It's me again!!

Another bird. I tell you, I was scared for my ankles!!

Later, and back in the room. Tink having a snack.

Then we went for a walk down to the playground.





On Saturday morning we left for home. Via Lillooet. First we stopped in Pemberton for gas. Only one of the stations still had any.

(I thought this sign was very funny!)

And this mountain reminded me of Switzerland!


We passed several recent rock slides. Here's one that was scary enough.

See? Scary.
But later (after Lillooet, but before Lytton) we passed another rock slide where the rocks were still littering the road way...and a whole lane of the road was missing. It was very, very scary. Especially since the it was basically a wall of loose rock on one side of us. We had one lane to drive in (traffic controlled so that people could travel in both directions) and the other side was a sheer drop hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of feet down to a raging river.

This is Lillooet.
And this is where we stopped for lunch.

We also stopped at Hell's Gate. Not to do the tourist thing, but at the pull off to see if we could see anything. We couldn't, but the kids enjoyed the mini hike.


I had this strange feeling that I needed to take a picture of this diner.

Oh. Fancy that. Well now I know why :)

1 comments:

derek salmon said...

so brave of you to go up and around to get home rather than just trying to stay in whistler longer!
great pictures. having no gas at the stations would be scary too...