Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Lions and Tigers and....Cows? Oh my!

In recent days David has developed an aversion to sleeping. For almost the past year he's been pretty good about sleeping. He might try to stall, and there are some days when he's not tired and he talks or sings to himself (sometimes for hours at a time), but he's never really cried when we put him down.

I really noticed it this weekend while Andrew was in Edmonton. As soon as I'd take him into the bedroom at night he'd just start screaming and wailing. Then it was nap time too.

Well, I think I've figured out the cause. Davey has been spending a lot of time talking about Cows. Yelling cows. Fighting cows. And if you tell him there aren't any yelling fighting cows around, suddenly it's tigers. On Sunday I finally realized it was the wind. There was a wee bit of wind about that day and David and I happened to be outside. "Let's go find the cows" he said. The light went on.

Then yesterday we were outside again and a big gust blew up with a shriek and a howl. He came running towards me, "Cow's yelling!".

"No darling, it's the wind. See:" and I made blowing noises. He laughed. Until the next gust blew up, "Tigers fighting?"

So we've been spending a lot of time talking about what various noises are. Today at lunch we could hear the wind again and he tried to tell me it was cows. Then tigers. And when I wouldn't go for either he switched to lions...albeit with a laugh.

0 comments: