Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Happy Canada Day!

We tossed around a ton of ideas for Canada Day this year. In the past we've usually kept things pretty low key, but our kids are getting old enough that battling crowds is do-able. So this year we decided to head to Krause's Berry Farm for their Pancake Breakfast. Some local websites advertised the breakfast for 9-11 am, but their website said 11 - 2. We got their at 11:07 and it was over. BUT we didn't miss out entirely...

There were HUGE crowds there. Lots and lots and lots of people. I was not expecting quite so many people!

We decided to let the kids pick strawberries. The season is over, but there were a few berries left. We ended up with just over 7 pounds.


Then Tinker and I had a look at the raspberries. They're letting people scatter pick right now. Whatever that means. I just know that everyone picking was shorter than me. So I was able to concentrate on the tops of the bushes (which, incidentally is where all the nice ripe berries were) and got almost 6 pounds in no time at all. Much easier on the knees than kneeling in the dirt too!


We went home and threw the berries in the fridge, had some lunch, then headed to the Fort where they had free admission today.


I like Tink's hat!

Some pelts. Tink really wanted to take the Beaver home.





I think Elisabeth was hungry again!


Panning for gold, but she ended up mostly giving herself a wash!










Davey was really upset that we didn't see Canada anywhere (I DID try and explain it to him) and that we didn't get cake (I guess we kept missing it). So we made a chocolate cake, dusted it in icing sugar and sprinkled fresh raspberries over it. Then we went to grandma's for help eating it.

Eager anticipation!
My kids take after me. They don't actually like cake. We just at the raspberries.

I shipped my kids back home and moments later my nieces arrived. They looked hot, hey? But I really liked the paint job on their arms.

Then I did some gardening. Check out this roma tomato!

And these ones (I think these are Sunny Boys?)

And the geraniums that wintered in the basement are doing spectacularly! I'm thinking about building a greenhouse, but until then, the basement will do just fine...

1 comments:

Jamie said...

Looks like so much fun!!! And just a little bit exhausting :-)

Now I'm feeling a little guitly - I spent Canada Day with the kids just swimming in my parent's pool. Then we went to a Canada Day BBQ at a friend's house, which I skipped out on a little early to go to running clinic...