Sunday, July 09, 2017

Campbell River with Dad

July was a busy month for us. We'd only been home from Penticton for a few days before we hopped on a ferry to head for Campbell River. We'd never done the Tsawassen to Nanaimo route before, so we decided that even though it meant for an earlier morning, we'd do that ferry.


My brother warned me that it was mostly a trucking route, which was okay with me. I had hoped to spend the entire trip outside as I was sure I'd see whales this time. But it was freezing, and I ain't never gonna see no whales. So me and the kids mostly wandered...


Once off the ferry, we headed on a rambly route towards Cathedral Grove. We stopped at these falls because we need a bathroom break and it looked interesting.

There are a couple of hikes you can do around there, and a campground. We did a really short walk to the lower (or small? I can't remember) falls.


It was an easy walk, and very pretty.



This about where dad decided to turn around though.

Goof nut.


We continued, because I wanted the photo ops :)



Isn't it pretty? I love the topography of the islands. All the rock. It's so pretty.





After the walk, we made our way to Cathedral Grove. There's another short walk there. Actually there's two, but this time we did the one that's got all the tree markers.




The trees are magnificent.

Unfortunately I spent most of the time walking around oblivious to the fact that my camera was on manual focus so my pictures are crap.

But at least we can remember the gist of things.





It was really busy here. There's about four parking spaces and everyone else takes their chances parking along the highway and hoping not to die walking to the park on the shoulder. But from these pictures you'd think we had the place to ourselves.



Dry river bed.





After that, we jumped in the car and drove to Port Alberni. Dad insisted because we were so close. But then we had lunch in the A&W and turned around and headed back towards Nanaimo and Campbell River...I can understand. You could tool around all day but we had a destination in mind (and groceries to buy!)

The next day and we ventured up island from our campground towards the city of Campbell River. Incredible coastline.



Thankfully the coastal highway rambles and there are lots of places to pull off and snap pictures.


And enjoy the mountains.


Or just take selfies.




Seriously. I would have moved right that instant if I could have persuaded Andrew.



There's loads of sea traffic running up and down here all day long. You'd never be bored watching it all.



And this dude was guarding the public loos along the water front.


This graced the parking lot where we stopped to explore the Marina. Everything was closed when we got there, but it was still very picturesque.


If somewhat cold ;)

Me and Dad just can't seem to get our selfie game down.



Walking the pier along the marina. Lots to look at.








 AND, they don't close the ice cream shop early (yay!)


 I love these seats. Meant for people who want to fish off the pier, but also perfect for viewing seats.


David quite enjoyed them.


 The cute little ferry that hops over to the island from Campbell River.



Dad never wants his own ice cream...


Buuuuuut, he'll eye yours....


And drop hints.



Hah! It's always best to get him a child size cone for himself if you don't want to share.


Just watch David's face....






 Yep. Dad's lucky David didn't bite him!

 Anyway, once the ice cream drama was over, we continued walking.


Watching the sun set over the marina. It's a bit strange being on the east side of something. Doesn't happen very often for me.




Maybe this is a good place to take a break.


0 comments: