Sunday, February 17, 2008

here comes the sun (dada da da)

When my camera started uploading all my pictures and I saw 459 new pictures my heart about stopped. Then I remembered that yesterday's pictures were probably uploading onto this computer for the first time. Sure enough...phew! I only took 300 and some pictures today!!

(yes. please consider that a warning. many pictures follow).

The promised sunshine materialized a day late. But it was so worth waiting for...

After the early service at church we headed west to Blackie's Spit. Despite our best efforts, the children did not nap on the way. So it took them a while to warm up to, well, anything.

(ahhhhhhhhhh...)


Blackie's Spit is part of the Crescent Beach area near Whiterock. It's one of our favorite walks because it's a series of paths beside the ocean, but not on the beachy part of the beach. It is very beautiful, especially during the changing of the seasons. And the kids can run pretty freely without actually running into the ocean!

I also tried my camera on a different setting for part of the day. Usually I have it on sports because that way I can manipulate it quickly to get pictures of my fast moving children. Also I can take millions of pictures in rapid succession by holding the picture taking button down. Today I decided to try some other settings. I kinda like.


Of course a walk with toddlers isn't really a walk. It's more of a slow backwards forwards waltz that you hope will eventually lead somewhere and back again. For them it's a voyage of discovery.

(this is my son showing me how he makes sand angels while his sister laughs at him).

(she really shouldn't. I mean, she's the one with the mud on her face. Literally.)

And me laughing at Andrew. (wow. I am quite pale. I really should get outside in the sun more often!)






Davey found this stick and spent a good 20 minutes blocking our paths with it. Then we'd have to call him to come and rescue us by moving the stick off the paths again. Unfortunately another pedestrian came along with his camera and Davey decided he needed to sacrifice his stick and block the path so that this gentleman couldn't come any closer to us.




There were so many of these old fellows around. Two were sitting out on the posts griping about all the humans encroaching on their area. But most were just lazily enjoying the sunshine and ignoring all the interlopers.

"mum, you have to save me! I'm swipping! quick, grab my hand!!"


Check out the interesting bark/branches on this tree/shrub!

Here... a close up:

Daydreaming...
The rocks here were covered in slimy scum and SO slippery. I could hear Franklin and Bear shouting "better safe than sorry!!!" in my head, but tried not to stop the kids from having fun.

But after a few close calls I had to hurry them all along.

Tinky did not want to go!!

My pristine little boy...
...and the girl. At least I know for sure that this one would appreciate a cement mixer over a doll's pram, right mum!?!

I'm not sure, but has she got her tongue out like that because we're inside the dog park?

Davey, who has long pretended to be terrified of dogs, insisted on going inside to play with the dogs. And didn't mind at all when they came close to him. AND cried his heart out when we said it was time to leave. HMNNNN...

bye bye doggies!

Over at the dog beach Elisabeth watched the dogs frolick in the waves and the seagulls play above.
Davey mostly sat on a rock and 'fished'. Eventually he went and watched the last dog play.




Davey found a great log to sit on.

It had lots of puddles of water on it's surface.


...still playing in the water...

"tinky, don't. that's yucky"



While Elisabeth chased the dogs, seagulls and her daddy around, Davey sat on a rock and dreamed.

oh yes. I meant literally.
He's the deep thinker.


Pretty much a perfect day.

2 comments:

Alvin & Denise Engler said...

beautiful pictures. i need to discover these beach destinations you guys visit regularly!

-de

Jane said...

OK. A few technical questions:
1. How long did it take you to upload all those pics?
2. Do you still use picasa? How did you manage to have them all in one post? I can only upload 4 at a time, and then have to open a new post.
3. Great pics, by the way.

Movie night soon?