Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Well, I didn't realise how strange life would be without a camera. Before we got our digital camera, I took a lot of pictures. But in the two and a half years since we went digital I've averaged hundreds of pictures a month. I love the luxury of being able to take as many pictures as I want without worrying about the cost of processing them. I love being able to use the viewfinder and take pictures from any angle. And especially from close up. I love documenting every single solitary moment of our lives.

So you can imagine how strange life is without my trusty camera in hand. I think I feel more lost even than when I go out without my babies! In fact, on Monday when Davey and I went outside to play, I seriously had to stop and think about how to have fun. It's kind of sad.

So, I was hoping my sister would blog about this incident, but she has less time than me so I'm going to blog it: during one of the rain storms last week, she and Jade put on their rain gear and headed to the park. Rain coats, boots, rain pants...the works. They had a great time jumping in all the puddles, stamping through the rain...

At the park Jade decided to go down the slide. Of course she was wearing wet, plastic pants and the slide was wet, so she went shooting down faster than a speeding bullet and landed about two feet away from the bottom of the slide. Trying to avert a crying spell, my sister says, "WOW! Wheeee! That was awesome Jade!"

Jade looked at her and replied, "Yah. How about the swings next?" Crazy woman.

Since I have no camera (my film camera decided this would be premium time for the batteries to die, so I don't even have that) here's a picture of Davey from two years ago. He was five months old:

Some more snippets:

Yesterday Jade found a peanut shell in our yard. I told her it was probably from one of the squirrels.

"what's a squirrel?"

"well, it's a little animal that runs around the yard and jumps through the tree branches" [notice that she's looking very blank so I stumble on, "you know, they're furry and cute and I guess they're kind of like mice only bigger and they have furry tails" and the light goes on,

"My grandfather has a big furry tail. It's long and it comes out from him here [she indicates her bottom] and him have a big furry tail."

Even funnier when you consider my dad was standing not five feet from her and completely oblivious to the fact that he apparently is part rat...

***************************************************

Davey last March at 18 months:


As Kathi was taking Davey upstairs through grandma's house to my car, "I no want to go in car with mummy. I go with favorite auntie and play with Ashlie and Jade."

"You don't want to go get daddy?"

"NO! I no want to. I go with favorite auntie."

(That's two days in a row folks that he's refused to go with me and has insisted on staying at aunties house. It hurts. I thought I had at least a few years till he rejected me.)

******************************************

When we got back from Vancouver and went to pick Davey up, Andrew went to the door of the house while I got Elisabeth out of her car seat and gave her a quick diaper change. Imagine Andrew's surprise as he walks up to the door of Kathi's townhouse and through the glass in the front door sees Davey strapped into a stroller, eating a granola bar, smiling and waving away. Apparently oblivious to the fact that Kathi and Jade were upstairs and he's all alone in 'jail'.

When Kathi came to the front door Andrew charged her with a joking, "so this is how you treat my son when I'm not around?!"

But apparently there had been a big mess made outside involving a toddler in a wagon with cheesies and liquid, and while Kathi was trying to clean one toddler up, the other kept getting into things he shouldn't. So she finally had to imprison him while she tended to the other mess maker. Uh hunh. A likely story...

******************************************

This morning when we dropped Andrew off at work he went through his usual routine of kissing the kids goodbye through the opened windows of the car. As usual he went to Elisabeth's window first and commented, "Hey! What are you doing throwing all your toys away?" and proceeded to pick them up off the floor of the car.

Davey: "You'll never find that hat now! Ha HA!"

Me, thinking, is he talking about the hat Elisabeth sometimes plays with?

Andrew comes round to Davey's side of the car and says, "Hey, what's this hat doing outside the car?"

Oh yah, he'd thrown Elisabeth's hat outta the car. Not content with throwing her clothes and toys in the garbage, now he's trying to get rid of them out the car window.

While we were driving home he stole her soother, but I didn't realise this until we got home and I was getting him out of his car seat. One soother in his mouth, one in his hand. "So that's where Elisabeth's soother went hunh?"

He pegs it as hard as he can into the front seat, "You'll never find it now!"

***********************************

Kathi and I are going to pick up registration packages for David and Jade to start preschool in September. PRESCHOOL! Already! Now I understand why people have five trillion kids.

0 comments: